Wednesday, 27 February 2013

A Beginner's Guide to Edinburgh

Edinburgh is a city I have always wanted to visit, but being around 400 miles away from me, and with sky rocketing train prices, it didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. But a week or so ago my chance came to visit this incredible city, and honestly, it's one of the prettiest places I've ever seen, though I am rather lacking air miles. I managed to document some of the wonderful places I visited on my trip, to give a very rough guide of some of the must see places on a first visit to Edinburgh. Since I'm from and now live in two huge tourist cities, I very much enjoyed being able to be the typical tourist alongside Maire, Onj and our host (or unofficial unpaid tour guide) Anna.

 photo 048-1_zps9442cbbb.jpg

 photo 012-5_zpsd384cae7.jpg

 photo 013-4_zpse60dc0de.jpg

 photo 020-5_zps224ead72.jpg

Anna, Onj and Maire!

One of the places we went to on our action packed first day was Calton Hill, in the centre of Edinburgh. This is the place to go to see incredible views of the entire city, and its actually not that much of a trek!

 photo 009-3_zps4e95a834.jpg

 photo 041-3_zps8998d13e.jpg

A running theme throughout our trip was frequent excursions to Armstrongs, a chain of vintage shops in the city centre. I was so incredibly impressed by the amazing decor of the shops, as well as the reasonable pricing and actual good quality of the clothes, no 'vintage' with Primark labels in here! This is a definite place for any clothes fan to go, as well as the huge amount of charity shops around the city. We all treated ourselves to something, my pick was an Aberdeen boys school blazer. Onj picked up a brilliant Avril Lavigne concert t-shirt for a fiver whilst Maire picked up the incredible hat you can see her wearing below from there!

 photo 062-2_zpsf1b9a5a5.jpg

 photo 042-2_zpscac8f569.jpg

 photo 034-3_zps09bebe89.jpg
One of the main parts of our trip was eating. As it usually is. Anna directed us to a wonderful Steampunk cafe called Lovecrumbs. Run by a team of self confessed Edinburgh Lady Bakers, the interior is super lovely, and the food and drink on offer even more so. Despite it still being effectively brunch time and coupled with a rather delicate hangover, I decided I had to go with the chocolate chilli cheesecake, which when it arrived turned out to be bigger than my face. And I've got a pretty large face by most people's standards.
 photo 035-1_zps98bfe88a.jpg
 photo 038-3_zps3c21f2c1.jpg
The interior of Lovecrumbs

For lunch that day we went to Hula, at the bottom of Grassmarket, on an absolutely beautiful street in the centre. Hula had really colourful decor and the people in there were lovely and friendly, and the food was reasonably priced, it warmed us up after a long day walking around!
 photo 055-1_zpsaffd21eb.jpg

 photo 061-3_zpsc7023e25.jpg

 photo 054-5_zps8f98d7b8.jpg

 photo 070-2_zps21e48be0.jpg

 photo 072_zps6c1de3f1.jpg
Overall, I fell absolutely in love with Edinburgh and had an incredible time, there was hardly a moment where you couldn't see something beautiful, whether it was the castles, turrets, lovely cafes and boutiques. I have to admit I was rather sad to get the (6am!) bus back to London.

Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x
Follow me!
Tweet Me

14 comments :

  1. These pictures are awesome! I'd really like to visit someday, it looks like a really pretty city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment you left me!
    I'm definitely considering making the HTML stuff a feature on my blog, as that post has already helped a few people, thanks for the follow by the way! I followed back, I really love your pictures, they're very beautiful.♥

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdу! I κnow thіs is kind of off topic but І was ωonԁerіng if yоu knew where I could find a captchа plugin for my comment form?
    Ι'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having
    problems fіnding one? Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to visit my wеbpage: integrallife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had such a lovely trip :) I've been to Edinburgh only once but before I became a fashiony person and began to appreciate the cuter things in life, so it sounds like I should go back as soon as I get the chance! Just found your blog and been reading through your posts, I love your style :)
    http://fashionsings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just nominated you for the Liebster Awards! Go to my blog to get more details!
    http://starftshsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures! Lovely blog you have here. I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw your blog, so much inspiration it has and very good pictures like movie scenes:)

    Hugs from Istanbul!

    http://photostorms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome photos! looks as if you had a lot of fun! <3

    londonandcoffee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful snaps! The chocolate cake looks divine! Perhaps we could follow each other? Following you now, hope to see you back!

    xo Lulu
    simplylulustyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit Edinburgh one day. It looks lovely and the chocolate cake looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog and I have nominated you for the Liebster award ♥

    http://thebeauty-web.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live in Glasgow so I get to visit E. every once in a while... thanks for sharing this cake place, will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, just came your blog and it's really great. I love this post, I'm Scottish and so I'm super glad you enjoyed Edinburgh, it's a great place! :)

    Now following you! :)

    I haven't blogged in ages and finally wrote a post today, would really appreciate it if you could check it out, thank you :)

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to go to Edinburgh - this post has made me want to even more! Think I'd make a beeline straight to Lovecrumbs! Wonderful photos, and such a sweet post idea. And thank you ever so much for putting my blog in your Blogs of Love - I'm most honoured! Rags of Love is such a favourite of mine, I could read on and on! Have a trés bien weekend. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...