Sunday, 3 February 2013

Fashion in Literature Lookbook: The Gothic

So the project I have been deliberating recently for this blog mixes my interests in Literature (or more generally culture) and Fashion. I'm going to be doing a series of Lookbooks based around the idea of periods and stages in Literature. My first go at this has been Gothic Literature. This meant, as one might expect, a hell (pardon the pun) of a lot of black and lace, which made it very easy to comply some looks from my rather depressing wardrobe. I'd like to point out that this is probably rather a simplistic way at looking at Gothic style, and probably seeks more to be wearable day to day rather than to scare people.





A few more notes about the inspirations for these looks, from clockwise:

1. This is my favourite look. I've been looking for a Lydia Deetz esque hat for quite a while now, and though this isn't quite as extreme as hers it's a lot more practical. The bodycon skeletal dress was a sales find, I imagine inspired in some vein by the film Donnie Darko.
2. This look is inspired primarily by Luella Bartley, my all time favourite designer. Unfortunately due to inadequate lighting the skirt is quite difficult to show you in the best possible representation, but it is from her Autumn/Winter 2008 collection, my all time favourite catwalk show, hands down. I paired it with my Bat Jumper and a Beanie to make it more suitable to wear in the day.

 photo e18763d9-dfe7-47e4-a98e-4d6085bd0087_zps4c3a0580.jpg

You can find where I bought these clothes in the above video.

 photo 64e97542-0781-4fbc-ad8f-02c120ed3481_zps0fdc9ce5.jpg

3. I like to call this look 'Summer Goth.' If you're not a colour fan then I can imagine this would be a great choice. It's also got elements of 'Shoreditch Goth' in it, with the tightly done up hair and the despondent expression (all my own, I promise).
4. This is probably my second favourite look. This is schoolgirl Goth, and I was inspired by Paganism with my flower Garland and my cape.

For makeup, I'm wearing OCC Lip Tar in Belladonna on my lips (a very appropriate name.)


Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x
Follow me!
Tweet Me

9 comments :

  1. Oh wow! I really like the video Bel, it's a great idea! I think it shows the clothes + you off in a better way than a picture ever could! :D If you ever need a hand behind the camera so that you can take these outside or in a better light you know where to find me (in my room).

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the Lydia Deetz hat, may have to go to H & M and get one myself! I love these sort of looks & they really suit you especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love especially your knit wear<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell in love with this dress <3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the posts, great style.

    Fashionsaurus x

    www.fashionsaurus.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bat jumper. Is it jw anderson for TS?
    I feel the same about Luella, she was best.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the idea of matching fashion to literature. I had this phase once, where I'd dress like book covers. Not exactly LIKE book covers, but... in the same moods and color schemes. It was fun.

    But back to your post. I kind of really want to steal that last outfit. <3

    (and also I came here from your Tumblr and I think I'll stick around)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...