Monday, 13 May 2013

'We must make do with what Rags of Love we find flapping on the scarecrow of humanity.'

My second year of University is over and done with, and I'm looking forward to new beginnings. It's been a tough academic year, but I'm looking towards the Summer with a lot of excitment about what is to come. I thought, whilst racking my brains for a post title, that I could talk about the name of this blog in relation to lil ol' me.
Being an English Literature student, I'm somewhat a fangirl over a certain author named Angela Carter. And my blog name derives from a quote of hers, basically talking about how we should make do with what we have. I mean, of course it doesn't just mean that. I'd like to certainly be ambitious and aim higher in life, as anybody would. But for me it means appreciating what I have, which is a lot, and starting to live my life a little better, and starting to accept that there are good things about myself as well as everything else in my life.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why this deep philosophical thought came alongside my first outfit post of two months, but we'll go with it. Otherwise it is all just me banging on about dresses. But yes, on with the 'banging on'...

 photo 5d25ef35-29c4-4742-8f77-792b83431db7_zpsced93326.jpg


Top - Olive
Dress- Dahlia
Shoes - Clarks
Bag - Cambridge satchel Company

To accompany the occasional bursts of Sun that the unpredictable English weather has allowed for as well as my rather improved mood, I've decided to go a little more colourful. I recently stocked up on stripy tops from the lovely Cheltenham boutique Olive, a website I've been browsing a lot recently lusting after all their dresses. Alongside this I've been wearing my new Pinafore from Dahlia, as I'm a big fan of the scallop detailing, so much so that I demanded of my photographer Luke to take various pictures of my chest area so that you could see it in its full glory (see below!). One of the main differences about me from last time is my hair. I'm not a big fan of the cut at the moment, but redyeing it has definitely made a change to my outfits. Purple hair is clearly the way to go for me, I immediately feel a lot more colourful, and could even kid myself that I'm more interesting. Maybe.

 photo 047_zps2a7f7bbb.jpg


I of course paired the outfit with the Cambridge satchel I love so dearly. This never fails to give me a sunny disposition (yes, my moods are controlled by the colour of bags.)

 photo 7d6fd9d0-2582-485c-a390-2d1c37f2439e_zpsb1f957b0.jpg


Lipstick - Rio Rio by Topshop

 photo 056_zps9d81989a.jpg


Bow - Gift from a friend

Thank you to Luke for taking these pictures and for providing the soundtrack of 'Glamazon' by Ru Paul, which really got me pulling some blogger shapes. Please check out his blog for food based fun - ness. Go on, do it, or he'll refuse to take my pictures next time.

Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x
Follow me!
Tweet Me

28 comments :

  1. So nice to see a post from you! Your outfit is cracking and it's so nice to see you happy, it is a beautiful and true quote.

    Your posts inspire my own a lot about fashion and make up. Also love keeping up to date with your tumblr!

    Congratulations on finishing your year at uni, just finished my second year too! Hope you have an awesome summer> <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your bag and this pretty bow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute look, love that pinafore with the striped shirt!
    Adore your style, I'm a new follower :)

    http://andini-ria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay does this mean more regular posts from you?! YAY. That's so funny, I've never interpreted that quote in that way but yours is a lot more positive than the way I have always read it. I'm not sure what that says about me as a person.. :S Laila xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait wait I have a lot to say.

    1. Congrats on finishing your second year, and here's to an awesome summer! <3

    2. Good ol' Carter. *sigh* I think her "Bristol trilogy" might have just changed my life. I'm on a quest to read every single one of her books. But alas it's still the fourth year (and last) of uni for me and there's no time to read. Maybe for the summer.

    3. That pinafore is just... gorgeous. I love to see them in other people but I can't never find any I like for myself. And the scallop edge really makes it extra special. :)

    Have a wonderful day!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hair and your satchel! I am following with GFC and Twitter!I would love if you’d visit me at : the daily savant : and follow back!

    : signe
    : the daily savant :

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Awards! Check out my blog for more information.
    Love Catilein.
    www.beautylovefashionthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment :) I think my layouts mega boring so it's nice to see someone noticed it!

    LOVE the Dahlia dress! and the brightness of your CS - I have a red one which I love to death but sometimes wish I chose a quirkier colour! Rosie xxxxx

    www.everywordhandwritten.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your outfit super cute!
    Pinafore and bow - we have similar style in this post :)

    darlingsophie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is really cute you match your bags to your mood XD
    I love this outfit on you, you are very pretty, such a lovely smile! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. great photos!! :)

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great photos!! :)

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this outfit SO much! No, seriously - it's all my favourite things! Stripes, pinafore, red lippy? Check! So so so pretty! <3

    xo
    Jo
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  14. loving the top!

    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous. That Dahlia pinnie is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love those cute little accents in your outfit, like the red bow and yellow satchel :)
    sweet outfit too!
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look so lovely. i love your bright yellow bag and your red bow. thank you for your lovely comment on my blog.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your outfit - the bag is perfect! and I love the colour of your hair by the way, it suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanna let you know, I nominated you to the Liebster award, Check out the last post on my blog for the details

    alejandrasissi.blogspot.com

    Love, Alejandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this! Shall we follow let me know XSE
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loveeeeeee this outfit! The yellow purse is a really great add-on!

    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my latest blog post and it will tell you everything you need to do for it!!!


    http://candijessie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the dress, so pretty! and i wish i was done with uni already too, ha! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is very helpful! choosing a good red lipstick is a difficult process , yours look great!

    I love ruby woo :)

    http://blondeambition3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that sometimes we all stop for a second and take stock of what we have - i should prob do it more often - it's a great quote.
    your dress is lovely and thanks for the link to Olive - you're right, the dresses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am obsessed with this pinafore, and I love how you've styled it. Love the bow, too. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I'm following you now! :)

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. To get into the going up the and managed to get into the hiking ground Buy Guild Wars 2 Gold hiking tents of Tyras. The effectively secured said the Tyras is dead, and they must be latest black. Your exports to the Tracking program, discussion, and then going returning to Iowerth you that provide him the concept. He offered you a look for and then and get Arandar Gateways begin the Maplestory Mesos Gnome Stronghold! Going back to the Expert that through the teleport to the accessibility.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your blog post is quite unique, grasping, and innovative with its content & readable quality. It has motivated me a lot in using environmentally friendly Jute Bags instead of plastic and paper bags.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...