Sunday, 6 October 2013

If I could change your mind, I would hit the ground running.

There was this really common tip in a pre teen magazine from when I was younger that I've always remembered: Never show your chest, midriff or legs off at the same time, it's just not 'classy.' At the time I nodded wisely, as if I'd been let in on this wonderful secret of 'how to be sexy AND classy' or, in hindsight, it's actual meaning: 'how not to be seen as a slut'. I think about that now, and it irritates me how much I, and pretty much every other teenager, was conditioned into thinking of people who dress revealingly as sluts, something that may seem like a relatively harmless thing to think at the time, but what can have inherently awful consequences. I say this, because my outfit here, kind of breaks that rule. A crop top and a high slit might make me a devil woman, but it's surprisingly comfortable, although it's been slightly amended to cope with the cold weather. By which I mean some thick tights and my new Commando hat. But I would encourage anyone to be willfully inappropriate with their clothing choices without freezing to death. I think that's somehow a better tip than: 'don't show off your body as you've got no damn right to.'
 photo 2377fed4-3439-4b0d-9b3b-713ad465f720_zps37572fc7.jpg

Top - Primark
Skirt - Primark
Shoes - River Island
Bag - Zatchels
Beanie - Commando

 photo 784c7725-bb7b-4a1d-a8e6-324808fb5e35_zps0032e1d5.jpg
Seriously trying to cinch my stomach in in these photos! A bodycon high slit skirt doesn't lie.

We decided to take these photos on Brick Lane, but as it's incredibly crowded at weekends I felt a bit self conscious snapping outfit photos in the swarms of people. So I decided to shoot them on the comparatively quieter Princelet Street, which I'd actually learnt about last year on my London historical literature course. It's a truly beautiful street with some amazing 18th century houses, which if you peek into seem to be owned by fantastically rich people or artists who use them as their studios. Yes,if you live on Princelet Street, that was me with my nose pressed against your window. I want to live there more than anything! Anyway, this was part of a day out with Luke, Maire and myself where we ate at an amazing French restaurant that Luke gives a great little review for on Cook Chat Smile.. After this we went for cocktails at Montys, after Maire made the entirely correct observation that 'if it's past 5pm, it's time for a drink.'

 photo ca58392a-9799-4021-afd8-dc3ca9b89ff6_zps2013ef6a.jpg

As with the clothes, the bulk of the outfit is Primark. I'm always totally blown away by how fashion forward Primark is, and how good they are for basic stuff. I'm always in this grey shirt and the leopard skirt was an impulse buy, though having a huge slit on your skirt has its issues, the amount of times I have to hoik it round so my butt doesn't show is frankly unreal. I'm the epitome of class. Alongside this I paired it with my Zatchel, which I love beyond words and which has saved me when it comes to carrying books and coursepacks to lectures. A new addition is this beanie, by Commando, who I heard about when reading Look Magazine back in July. It's run by a group of entrepreneurs who are either in school or barely out of it, and they've been worn by David Beckham of all people, who quite obviously is a constant style inspiration to me. Anyway, I'm pretty jealous of their enterprise, but if you can't beat them, wear their branded hats.

 photo 094_zps28630176.jpg
Thanks so much to Luke for taking these photos and to Maire for waiting patiently whilst I indulged my vanity!

Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x
Follow me!
Tweet Me
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Watch me on Youtube

27 comments :

  1. This is definitely one of my favourite looks of yours to date, so pretty! The crop + leopard maxi combo is awesome and don't get me started on your stunning hair colour and matching satchel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve this !
    do you reckon a bag from Zatchels is worth getting? in need a new uni bag x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! I absolutely love mine to pieces, but they are pretty pricey. I was lucky enough to buy one when they were having a half price sale so mine wasn't nearly as expensive as they appear on the website. But they are certainly very strong, durable bags and mine fits all the books I need!

      Delete
  3. I love how your bag matches your hair color!! And that skirt is incredible. If I wasn't so shy, I would totally buy one. I love how far the slit goes, although it mus be kind of uncomfortable at times. Anyway, love love love the outfit!
    Bian, Mortem Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  4. damn gurl. you so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coloured hair is so cool and I love the maxi skirt.

    http://oliveneedspopeye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. Grey and dark purple is my favorite color combination and you are rocking it here. I am obsessed with those bags! I've seen them on a few blogs but this purple one is my favorite! You look gorgeous as usual!

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outfit is amazing and you have such a beautiful smile <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that skirt! Dressing like a devil woman is my fall goal :]



    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a nice little trip out. C: Although I'm secretly disappointed that the pictures of Maire attempting to escape my street styling gaze didn't make the cut!

    -- http://www.cookchatsmile.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the coolest outfit I've seen today!! Love it!!
    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know,
    Hugs :)

    http://fashionalatic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool look.
    Hope you had fun in London.
    Love that satchel.

    DarlingSophie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally think Devil Woman is a look to aspire to ;) you look lovely! those boots are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make that skirt look so expensive, I was shocked when I saw it was from Primark!
    By the way I just ran into your blog and I really like it, you rock those purple hair! xxxx

    misunderstoodprincesses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good outfit! Also, your bag looks great with your hair. I love the leopard print and grey with pops of purple :) You definitely don't look "too revelaing" here, but I agree thise rules are so silly and they just teach girls that it's our responsibility how people react to the way we dress which is really stupid! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beauutiful outfit! And I really dig your hair colour, I'm very envious of it.<3
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the beanie I need a new one! Got to agree primark have gone pretty amazing recently and it's just the price you want when following trends x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the vibrant colour of your satchel. It makes a nice change from the usual classic shades.

    I bought a coat from Primark last year and ended up wearing it all winter. It's one of my favourites. They do produce some good items. I just can't stand the super strong smell in store, or the one you sometimes find comes with their jeans.

    Sej || What Would Grace Kelly Say

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loveee the skirt and the zatchel. I'm in love with satchels!

    Rosie
    x
    therunwayrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my god, Bel, not even joking I have that skirt in the form of a wide-leg jumpsuit which I found in the charity shop. That exact leopard print! Please can we go somewhere together and be sort of twinsies? X

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhhh this is such a cute outfit and i really love your hair colour ^^
    x<3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a sweet look - loving the bright hair too! Mine is gradually going redder, dye is addictive! Completely agree with your point on 'revealing' clothing choices - although I tend to dress like an old woman half the time, I think if other people wear completely different things, go them! It takes confidence and courage, not promiscuity. You look lovely anyway - particularly liking the satchel bag! Have a great week. X

    ReplyDelete

  22. اهم شركات كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذكل شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة وتنظيف بجدة ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر وكشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل والقطيف والخبر والدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

    ReplyDelete
  23. اهم شركات نقل العفش والاثاث بالدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    شركة نقل عفش بالخرج
    شركة نقل عفش بالقصيم

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...