Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Must be the Season of the Witch

I have to say that I really love Halloween, and Autumn as a whole. I could honestly talk about Halloween stuff all day, but I've had to stop myself, so much so that I've not even written a post about it until now. There's something so atmospheric about this time of year, with the slight chill in the air, the endless hot drinks and the constant desire to watch Most Haunted (I don't actually believe it, honest).
As a child I was slightly morbid. I loved ghost stories such as M.R James and I was a Tim Burton fantatic (not so much now). I think this might have inspired my current predisposition towards rather creepy, slightly unsettling things. From a young age I've always been fascinated by the mystical and supernatural, and this has translated itself in my adulthood to an almost exclusive interest in anything pretty but odd. I've always loved stories of paganism and magic, and I think there is something particularly creepy about the Englishness of it all. Think the 1973 version of the Wicker Man (Nicholas Cage's 'not the bees'! sort of ruined the magic for me) where a policeman finds himself on an island full of lusty pagans with inherently evil intent and a eerily symbolic treatment of maypoles, and you've sort of got what I mean. I channelled these interests of mine for an outfit for All Hallows Eve, which sort of resulted in a sort of 'Witchfinder General goes out on the razz' look.

 photo 5d9b18a2-8f07-4519-b42a-992ac9525737_zpsce6a93fe.jpg

Shirt - Ebay
Bralet - Primark
Skirt - Luella
Socks - New Look
Shoes - Asos

Probably one of the most important influences on my personal style is Luella Bartley, who ran her label, Luella, until it sadly went out of business in 2009. Her collections were fun, interesting and characterful, and my undisputed favourite was her Pagan inspired 2008 collection (which, as I gathered over a fangirling twitter exchange, is her 'second favourite'). This skirt I'm wearing was a very proud purchase of mine, making the most of the bargainous prices you could get her clothes at after the label shut down. As a collection it's perfect for Halloween, although for me dressing slightly scarily is sort of a year round thing. I'm not even joking. Alongside my pride and joy in the form of the skirt I added a wide brim hat, something I had been looking for for absolutely ages. It's very Lydia Deetz, and though I must admit I haven't quite been brave enough to wear it out yet, it kind of makes the outfit.

 photo 597aa568-a484-412a-9b0f-e0ef0365d636_zpscdfe3b35.jpg

A little bit of Halloween inspiration for you all from Luella's collection, highlights include an actual Maypole dress, I mean, this woman is a genius, seriously. With crimped hair, oddly coloured tights and a pagan headdress you too can look creepy all year round like me.

 photo 01f3ed4a-afc1-4bee-95f1-9a466e10fb56_zps7086db53.jpg

I hope you liked my little spin on Halloween, and I hope you all have a good day dodging evil spirits, and that you eat lots of sweets (but save some for the kids who are still trick and treating in our fun sponging society). In the next few days you will probably find me slightly hungover raiding Poundland for their leftover Halloween stock (it makes for great room decor). Part 2 (my actual Halloween costume) is forthcoming, as well as a special guest appearance from two of my favourite people! Here are some Halloweeny tracks to get you in the mood...


Donovan - Season of the Witch

Amon Dull II - Archangel Thunderbird

The Wicker Man - Willow's Song

Blood on Satan's Claw Soundtrack - Main Theme

Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x
Follow me!
Tweet Me
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Watch me on Youtube

14 comments :

  1. Serving fierce Witch realness as always. You look fab and need to wear that hat more often!

    http://www.cookchatsmile.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look suuper cute! I love the American Horror Story-esque hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all, that skirt is amazing. Thanks for the runway inspiration too, I don't look at that stuff enough but I'm always super impressed when I see it

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this outfit, the skirt is perfect for Halloween! xx

    www.adventuresofananglophile.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this outfit!!
    You look amazing.
    I want your velvet shoes.

    DarlingSophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe Most Haunted makes me lol so much ><
    love your outfit ^^
    x<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great look! I particularly love your skirt, it's darling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a bit of a thing for all things supernatural too. I tell myself that I don't believe in ghosts, but I love hearing people's stories about their encounters and am more than a little bit intrigued. Love the flowy skirt x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Bel you look amazing. I love Halloween and everything creepy too. Sorry I couldn't make your party, hope it was a total shebang and can't wait to see your next Halloween post.

    P.S. I loved that collection too - still upset I've never managed to track down the elusive Luella ribbon dress. XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Autumn / Halloween is my favourite time of year too! I love everything creepy and spooky, and when I was younger me and my friend used to sneak into empty classrooms at lunch to do Ouija boards and seances... fortunately for us they never worked. Your outfit is amazing! I love love love your hat and skirt, and the general witchy vibes xx

    ReplyDelete

  11. اهم شركات كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذكل شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة وتنظيف بجدة ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر وكشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل والقطيف والخبر والدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

    ReplyDelete
  12. اهم شركات نقل العفش والاثاث بالدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    شركة نقل عفش بالخرج
    شركة نقل عفش بالقصيم

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...