Sunday, 5 October 2014

My Room and Tips for Decorating on a Budget

As you may have gathered, I moved house last month. I now live in a really pretty flat in Hackney, and I've been getting very hands on with the task of making my new room feel like home. I've always taken a lot of pride in decorating my own space. Over the past few weeks I have been exhibiting middle aged woman behaviour, taking all too frequent trips to Wilkinson's, getting the 'nice man' to help me wrestle a trolley out of the holder (one WHOLE English pound? No chance) and getting a bit too excited about storage solutions. My room is still very much a work in progress, for instance I need to invest in some fairy lights for when the Winter nights draw in, but I thought I would let you have an insight on the current process of making a house a home, as well as giving you some tips of how to do it for cheapsies.
 photo 27da26ff-397f-4287-a066-f264493edb5a_zps29a8dbdd.jpg
Bedding and Cushion: Asda George
Hand: TK Maxx

1) Buy from Budget Stores

Alright, so this first tip is bit like saying 'if you don't want to stab yourself, do not buy any knives', but I think it's a misconception that you have to spend a lot of money on home stuff for it to look good. For instance, I can't afford to shop at John Lewis and buy Orla Kiely branded bedding (which I'd obviously love) but I've actually found more stuff that I have liked in cheap shops such as George at Asda and TK Maxx. This might be because of my love of the garish and colourful, so if you're looking for something minimalistic, then this tip might not be so useful to you. But I for one absolutely adore my pin up bedding from Asda, and it was only £12, an absolute bargain for a double duvet set.
 photo roompost9_zps94ca3ebc.jpg
Shelving: IKEA via Ebay
Rug: Evolution
Garland: A Thousand Daisies

2) It's the little details that count

If you're really planning to overhaul your space, invest in a new bed, chair, desk etc, then it's going to be seriously pricey. Luckily enough, I moved into a furnished place, and for me it's always been the little details, objects, ornaments and trinkets that have made my room convey my personality. I've never really understood interior design where it just looks like people honestly don't have any belongings, as they have been meticulously stored away. I love being able to show off some of the lovely things I've been fortunate enough to accumulate throughout my life. In this picture, I invested in some gorgeous bunting by illustrator A Thousand Daisies, as well as a super pretty rug from an amazing homeware shop called Evolution (which funnily enough, is a heart made of rags, blog name anyone?) Other cute things I've used to decorate my room include a bow and arrow made for me for a fancy dress party, and a bird cage from a shop in Brighton. You know when fashion magazines say that you should take off at least one accessory before leaving the house? I'd say the opposite applies when it comes to your room, pile in as much 'junk' as possible, but remember, every piece of junk has its place.
 photo roompost8_zps430ac111.jpg
Postcards: Horst at the V&A
Butterflies (just seen): Junk Shop
 photo roompost11_zps6dcdc91d.jpg
Mug: Arcadia bookshop in Oxford
 photo roompost2_zps846d977e.jpg
Cards: Horst at the V&A
Unicorn bag: Ebay
 photo roompost1_zps6e8691e7.jpg
Posters: Barbara Hulanicki at Brighton Museum, Tim Walker at Somerset House


3) Pound Shops are your friend.

Pound shops, dollar stores, euro stores, krona stores, yen stores - let me assure you, they are a treasure trove of weird and wacky things that you never thought you'd need. I've always been a fan of Pound shops, mostly because of my extremely thrifty mother, who I really have learnt all the tricks of the trade from. I got my fake flowers from the 99p shop, as well as popcorn storage boxes, and a teacup meant for the garden, which I store my kirby grips and nail varnish in. I feel like the fake flowers really do complete my room, I've been putting them everywhere: on my clothes rail, sticking out from behind my mirror, and in my Doc Martens.
 photo 5369f0f7-9553-4933-ab96-fb82e7934b7c_zps57c60fbd.jpg
Rail: Ebay (wouldn't really recommend buying this as it's a bit rubbish, if possible, invest in a slightly more expensive one)
Flowers: 99p Shop
Artwork: Wishcandy (sold out)


4) Use clothes as decoration.

This tip only really applies if you're very much into fashion, like me. But seeing as you're on a fashion blog, I'm going to assume that is the case. The minute I moved into my new abode I was straight on Ebay ordering myself a clothes rack, because my wardrobe simply wasn't large enough for all of my clothes. Plus, it's a great way to show some of your favourite pieces, because since when should clothes just be useful when you're wearing them? Building the rack itself was something of a struggle, and now it is secured with a mixture of my own blood, sweat and tape, but it really is the centrepiece of my room. It's currently showing off some of my favourite outfits, including my Ragged Priest cardigan, Unif dresses, and my all time favourite dress, my Romwe yellow Peter Pan collar one (I haven't given up the Peter Pan collars completely)! I'm hoping to add a few dresses to my walls as well, which I'll show you when I do!
 photo 9dae6420-4889-445f-b2e3-2e857cd838e5_zpsc3750886.jpg
Bag: Choies
Troll Doll: Gift
Skull: Evolution
Cuffs: C/O Cyberdog
Inflatable Bag: C/O Cyberdog
Frame: Charity Shop
Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x Find me elsewhere! Instagram

11 comments :

  1. aaah I completely get you. last year I spent weeks at wilkinsons and tk to get some bargains for my room. I simply don´t feel comfortable if I don´t "personalize" it.

    dresses-and-travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of those supremely talented people who make that kind of clutttered/busy home decor look effortlessly cool. I am impressed and jealous in equal measure! Well done on the move - I've just moved house too and I know how stressful that can be!

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room is so cool! I love that garland especially and your laptop cover/case (?). :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bedding from Asda is gorgeous and quirky! Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool post!

    SSSx
    www.stylestreetstalker.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I would say is beware with the "clothes as decoration" thing because one day it might veer out of control and you find you've got sequinned items lining the walls, about 4 tops thick and can't find the light switch (genuine daily problem I have)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your style is so cool and unique, really catches your eye and it definitely comes through in your decor too! great stuff and i love your pictures :) great post!

    Georgia | thelastmoonsong.blogspot.com
    | indigomusiccoven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved the interior! It was so fun and exciting!

    Harshita Kapur's Blog

    ReplyDelete

  9. شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة وشقق بالمدينة المنورة شركة غسيل خزانات ومكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة ونقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة مؤسسة صفوة المدينة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة مؤسسة صفوة المدينة انها الاولى فى مكافحة ورش الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة رش البق رش الصراصير مكافحة النمل الابيض بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...