Sunday, 8 February 2015

Inspiration Hour: On Trusting the Process

'You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.' Max Ehrmann 

 photo 9de5df0a-faaa-4807-a572-59c02da1bbf3_zpsb3ewc5gf.jpg
Obligatory thoughtful staring shot.

One of my favourite songs, Chicago by Sufjan Stevens, includes the line 'All Things Go'. I love this line because to me it has a double meaning - 'All things go' as in all things end, and 'All things go' as in life continues with the same force that it did before. That's sort of the springboard of this post.

Happiness is often described as an end goal for people, that they will achieve a level of happiness once they pass a course, get a dream job, find a life partner, have a child, etc. The truth is, life doesn't really work out like that. Levels of happiness and on the other hand, levels of sadness, ebb and flow throughout our lives. We should of course strive to be happy as much as we can, but sometimes, that's not possible. Sometimes you're going to be unhappy and you've got to give yourselves some slack. 

Things will happen in your life that totally, unambigiously suck. Here's my own sob story: when I was 17 and doing my AS levels, I ended up bombing in one of my exams. I had my heart set on one particular university, which due in part to that one poor grade dragging my other ones down, I didn't get an offer from.

Why can I look back at that moment now, that had been so miserable and disappointing at the time, and laugh? Because life is a process and if one pathway shuts down for any particular reason, a new one always opens. I ended up going to another university which was equally respected for my chosen subject, and I got a degree, not something that everyone has the privilege of being able to access. I look back on that situation now and see it as a massive learning curve, but at the time? It was the end of the world, to catastrophic levels.

I've always been the sort of person to question the 'whys' of a situation, and massively overanalyse everything. 'Why did I fail this exam? - I'll never get another university place because everyone will think I'm stupid - This is it, it's over.' Though it's important to question where you went wrong, after a while this becomes a toxic thought process. You're trying to resolve something in your head that has already happened, and sometimes it's just important to let go, move on, and put it down to experience.

As I've got older I've realised that though not every situation can be solved, new found strength lies therein. There are some things in our life we can control, such as are own self worth, motivation and happiness (except obviously in the case of those who suffer from mental illness) and there are some things in our lives that we cannot control or change, such as illness, bad circumstances, and other people's actions. 

My point is, is that there is no such thing as a situation that is 'the end of the world.' There are just points in a process that you can learn from. It's important to trust that things will be okay. I've never believed necessarily in the thought process of 'whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see', but I think that what you can elucidate from that is whatever life throws at you, you'll be able to cope with it, and become a better person as a result of it.

That's why 'Trust the Process' is one of my favourite mantras (and as a walking encyclopedia of TED talks, Marc and Angel articles and inspirational quotes, that's saying something). I first heard one of my favourite youtubers Connor Manning mention it, and I think it really sums up the unpredictability of life, but more significantly, the ability to reflect back upon it in a positive and thoughtful way. It's not always been an easy task for me, but when I am able to, it means that the storm subsides much quicker than it ever did before. 'All things go', and on to the next challenge!

'You don't have bones of glass, you can take life's knocks' - Amelie
Thanks for reading! Belphoebe x Find me elsewhere! Instagram

5 comments :

  1. Totally agree with you Belpheobe! There is no 'end of the world'. You can feel happy, you can feel sad, but you can always stand it and be OK. Nothing happens without a reason, so never lose hope.
    I really like your blog! ;) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It's crazy looking back at times in life when you felt it was the "end of the world" and instead it allowed you to grow as a person and everything still fell in to place.
    I'm definitely going to have "trust the process" as my new mantra, it's really powerful!

    wolvesandflames.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete


  4. اهم شركات كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذكل شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة وتنظيف بجدة ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر وكشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل والقطيف والخبر والدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

    ReplyDelete

  5. اهم شركات نقل العفش والاثاث بالدمام والخبر والجبيل اولقطيف والاحساء والرياض وجدة ومكة المدينة المنورة والخرج والطائف وخميس مشيط وبجدة افضل شركة نقل عفش بجدة نعرضها مجموعة الفا لنقل العفش بمكة والخرج والقصيم والطائف وتبوك وخميس مشيط ونجران وجيزان وبريدة والمدينة المنورة وينبع افضل شركات نقل الاثاث بالجبيل والطائف وخميس مشيط وبريدة وعنيزو وابها ونجران المدينة وينبع تبوك والقصيم الخرج حفر الباطن والظهران
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بجدة
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    شركة نقل عفش بالخرج
    شركة نقل عفش بالقصيم

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...