Monday, 16 November 2015

Yellow Blue Pink

You're probably wondering why so many London visitors have been uploading photos of themselves wandering through the mist recently. To quote my friend and twitter celebrity Dan, 'everyone is pissing about in that foggy room'.
'States Of Mind' by Ann Veronica Janssens is the new, very popular exhibition at the Wellcome Collection, probably one of my favourite places in London (they also recently had exhibitions on forensics and sexology, both of which were brilliant). It's not all just about pretty colours, Janssens' work tackles the nature of consciousness and perception. 'Entering the gallery is to submit to colour as a physical entity, to be subsumed by the experience of seeing' (from the exhibit leaflet). Janssens deals with our subjective perception and how it affects or sheds light on our consciousness, in States Of Mind she focuses on our experience of sight by creating a disorientating space. Don't let the photos fool you, it is very difficult to see anything in there. Luke and I walked into a wall and nearly bumped into some of the other people walking around.
IMG_4786
I'm no art critic, but my main observations from the installation were as follows:
1) Janssens seeks to fragment our senses here and bring sight forward. We are used to having our senses work together to aid our perception, but here we are denied total understanding. To me it seemed quite a lot like a dream. I don't know whether you guys get this but sometimes when I close my eyes I'll get a sort of residue from the things I have previously seen, for instance sometimes I will imagine a wall of white and at other times I'll imagine black lines that will fuzz around my brain. I have certainly never imagined pink mist but the experience struck a chord with me, as Janssens brings out colour and gives it no real context other than just perceiving what is right in front of you. I doubt there is any other experience that allows you to just exist within colour. From the leaflet: 'Colour is caught in a state of suspension, veiling any detail or service within the space.'

2)It kind of reminded me of a theory that I learnt about at university, solipsism, that the only thing that exists is existence itself. States of Mind critiques the idea of consciousness and brings it to the fore. By taking away any other context or detail, we are confronted by the nature of our own existence within the mist.

3) Luke and I took a lot of photos. We are so painfully millennial that we still managed to take selfies in the impenetrable mist.

IMG_4778

IMG_4804

IMG_4799
Luke wore his Mariah Carey inspired 'Elusive Chanteuse' t-shirt especially for this rather elusive experience.
IMG_4775

IMG_4791

IMG_4784

IMG_4782
The photo above was taken a few moments after we walked in - first impressions!
IMG_4795
States Of Mind is on until 3rd January 2016. It is free, but you generally have to queue up for about an hour to get in, so take a book! Find out more here.

Twitter/Instagram/Bloglovin

5 comments :

  1. شركة نقل عفش بالدمام الشرق الاوسط متحصصه فى نقل عفش واثاث بالدمام ونقل العفش بالخبر كما انها توفر شركة نقل عفش بالجبيل والخبر وشركة نقل عفش بالقطيف والاحساء وجميع خدمات نقل العفش والاثاث بالمنطقة الشرقية بارخص اسعار نقل عفش بالدمام وتقدم ايضا شركة تخزين عفش بالدمام والخبر
    نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
    شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
    شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل
    شركة نقل عفش بالخبر
    شركة نقل عفش بالقطيف
    شركة نقل اثاث بالاحساء

    ReplyDelete

  2. شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة وشقق بالمدينة المنورة شركة غسيل خزانات ومكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة ونقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة مؤسسة صفوة المدينة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة مؤسسة صفوة المدينة انها الاولى فى مكافحة ورش الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة رش البق رش الصراصير مكافحة النمل الابيض بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...