Friday, 22 January 2016

Melt Dress

I don't know about you, but when I read blogs I often am drawn to them because of their seemingly perfect veneer. Maybe it's just the problem of comparison and the 'grass is always greener on the other side' approach, but I often look at my own #content and think 'why doesn't it look quite as seamless and perfect as everyone else's?' I guess writing blogs and putting photos of yourself out there makes you aware of your own body, and though this is something I'm generally relatively confident about, I do sometimes feel insecure. I like to wear quite odd clothing that is often hard to get away with unless you're extremely wiry, and I gotta say, this dress below was a bit of a CHALLENGE. Imagine me off camera trying to hoist the thing down every 50 seconds because it kept riding up my legs (safety shorts are a godsend, ladies am I right??) and feeling a little, well, vulnerable about how it showed off my post Christmas curves (I like to think of it as extra fat for warmth and not just a sad inevitability of chronic mini eggs addiction). Also, bonus points to anyone who noticed that I'm wearing odd socks.  unif adidas 4
Anyway, sorry for the slightly negative introduction, it's just something that's been playing on my mind when I've been deciding whether I want to post these pictures or not. This is actually my birthday outfit that I wore on an outing to Brick Lane with my most treasured pals. I had a brilliant time wandering around the market, going to the Spitalfields city farm and being reunited with Watson and Holmes, the on-site pigs (I really like pigs). Also, Brick Lane's super cool graffiti made the perfect backdrop for my outfit (way to make art about me).
unif adidas 1
Hat - H&M
Dress - Unif
Harness - Etsy (This particular one isn't available but there are loads of others)!
Shoes - Adidas Supercolor via Ebay

This dress is from one of my favourite labels Unif, and I've been lusting after it for ages. Annoyingly Unif is difficult to get in the UK so I got my most wonderful and kind pal Lucy to bring it back from America with her. It's made from a sheer material and has a big ol' slit up the side, which as I've mentioned doesn't make it the most practical of dresses, but I absolutely love the print, and being a tall lady means that longer dresses tend to work better for me.

Now I know what you're thinking - a harness? That's a bit fruity Bel. Well, underwear as outerwear was rather on trend a while ago and I really loved the way harnesses look as accessories, so I picked up a couple. I don't really wear them a lot as they can be hard to style, plus I get some considerable side eye ('that girl has probably read 50 Shades of Grey' they think to themselves) but this went perfectly with the dress. I'm not a big jewelry person so wearing the harness makes me feel like I've made a bit more of an effort to style my outfit up.
unif birthday 12

unif adidas 3

unif birthday 11
Accessories wise, I wore my trusty Supercolors, which are now my favourite pair of shoes in the world (look at them, they're so bloody sunny and bright)! I've also been wearing this beanie constantly since I bought it, because the pastel colour goes really well with my hair.
unif adidas 6

unif adidas 5_Fotor_Collage
Thanks to Luke for taking these snaps of me!

Twitter/Instagram/Bloglovin

20 comments :

  1. Girl your figure is amazing, hold your head high!! Love love love the harness and this post cracked me up 😉
    Anna (as in By Her Mirror... It won't let me comment as anything but my lamely named Google account!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks for checking in Anna! You're the sweetest <3 xxx

      Delete
  2. Giiiiiiirl, curves on point! You big stunner. What are you on about seamless blogs? Who has a seamless blog? Tell me so I can shoot out their flaws. I wish I had been free on your big day as I bloody love Spitalfields farm, reply to me and Freyia so I know when I can see that cute face of yours again. Bring the harness. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'll bring the harness tomorrow! ;) Thanks so much pal xx

      Delete
  3. you look awesome in this dress! I love the print.

    Lee - leethrifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the trainers, you look fab x

    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I'm in love with this dress!
    xx Alyssa
    visionsofnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's freakin' amazing right?? Thanks love xx

      Delete
  6. You look stunning! I adore your style. It inspires me. If only you could see my current attire, haha...
    Don't be worrying about your weight. You're healthy and will always have an hour glass shape (even if you ever were to gain weight).
    The colors of this dress have my heart, and those yellow adidas want want want!! You're right about the beanie, it goes lovely with your pastel hair. I'd imagine it hides any roots growing in too.

    - Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a sweet comment Harlynn thanks so much for taking the time to leave it! I'm not so much worried about my weight, more kind of insecure about how my body looked in a dress that seems to be better suited to people of a certain shape, but yes you're absolutely right!

      xx

      Delete

  7. ان اردت نقل عفش منزلك بالدمام ابيات الشرقية من اهم شركات نقل العفش بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والقطيف والاحساء
    شركة المتحدة
    شركة نقل عفش بنجران
    شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط
    شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    شركة نقل عفش بابها

    ReplyDelete


  8. شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة وشقق بالمدينة المنورة شركة غسيل خزانات ومكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة ونقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة مؤسسة صفوة المدينة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة مؤسسة صفوة المدينة انها الاولى فى مكافحة ورش الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة رش البق رش الصراصير مكافحة النمل الابيض بالمدينة المنورة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for your comment! It makes me smile everytime I see a new one pop up. If you leave me a link to your blog I will aim to get back to you within 2 days because I love looking at all your blogs too!
If you want to continue the conversation, tweet me @thebelphoebejar

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...